If you purchase one of the products recommended in this article, I might receive a small affiliate commission. Thank you for your support!
When it comes to denim, there’s a multitude of styles to choose from. One classic, versatile option is the tapered jean. But, what are tapered jeans exactly?
In this ultimate style guide, we’ll delve into the world of tapered jeans, explaining what makes them unique, how to wear them, and why they’re a must-have for any wardrobe. Let’s dive in!
Defining Tapered Jeans
Tapered jeans are a type of denim that combines elements of both slim-fit and straight-leg jeans. They’re designed to fit comfortably around the waist and hips, with a more relaxed fit through the thigh.
The key feature that sets them apart from other styles is the gradual narrowing of the leg from the knee down to the ankle. This creates a subtle tapering effect, which is where the style gets its name.
Why Choose Tapered Jeans?
So, why should you consider adding tapered jeans to your wardrobe? Here are just a few of the many reasons:
- Versatility: Tapered jeans are incredibly versatile, making them suitable for various occasions and styles. Dress them up with a blazer for a smart-casual look, or pair them with your favorite sneakers and a t-shirt for a more laid-back ensemble.
- Flattering fit: The gradual tapering of the leg creates a slimming effect, which can be flattering on a variety of body types. This makes this style of jeans an excellent choice for those looking to elongate their legs and create a balanced silhouette.
- Comfort: Thanks to their relaxed fit through the thigh, tapered jeans offer a comfortable alternative to skinny jeans without sacrificing style.
- Timeless appeal: Tapered jeans have been a staple in the world of fashion for decades. Their timeless appeal means they’ll never go out of style, making them a smart investment for your wardrobe.
How to Style Tapered Jeans
Now that you know what tapered jeans are and why they’re so popular, let’s explore some styling tips to help you make the most of this versatile denim style:
- Choose the right length: For a modern, clean look, opt for tapered jeans that end just above your ankle. This will showcase your footwear and create a streamlined appearance.
- Experiment with colors: While classic blue denim is always a safe bet, don’t be afraid to branch out and try different colors. Black, gray, and even white can add a fresh twist to your wardrobe.
- Play with proportions: Balance out the slimming effect of tapered jeans by pairing them with looser-fitting tops, such as oversized sweaters or boxy shirts. This will create an on-trend, relaxed silhouette.
- Accessorize: Complete your look with the right accessories, like a stylish belt to emphasize your waist, or a statement necklace to draw attention to your upper body.
In conclusion, tapered jeans are a versatile, flattering, and comfortable denim option that can easily become a staple in your wardrobe.
By understanding what sets them apart and how to style them, you’ll be able to make the most of this classic denim trend.
So, why not give them a try and discover the perfect pair for your unique style?
No, tapered jeans are not the same as skinny jeans. While both have a narrow leg opening, tapered jeans offer a more relaxed fit through the thigh, whereas skinny jeans are form-fitting from the waist down.
Tapered jeans are suitable for people of various body types, as they provide a balanced, flattering silhouette. They’re particularly great for those who want a slimming effect without the tightness of skinny jeans.
Yes, tapered jeans can be an excellent option for individuals with big thighs, as they provide a comfortable fit in the thigh area while still offering a slimming effect from the knee to the ankle.
Tapered jeans are generally not as tight as slim jeans. They offer a more relaxed fit through the thigh, while still featuring a narrow leg opening similar to slim jeans.
Both tapered and slim jeans have their merits, and the choice between them depends on personal preference and body type. Tapered jeans offer a more relaxed fit, while slim jeans provide a closer, more form-fitting silhouette.
Tapered jeans can create the illusion of height by elongating the legs, thanks to their slimming effect from the knee to the ankle, making them a great choice for those looking to appear taller.
Yes, tapered pants are generally considered flattering, as they create a slimming effect and a balanced silhouette that works well for various body types.
Tapered fit and athletic fit are not the same, although they share similarities. Athletic fit jeans are designed for those with more muscular legs, offering extra room in the thigh and seat areas, while tapered jeans have a more relaxed fit in the thigh and narrow toward the ankle.